Popular Posts

Friday, February 10, 2012

amfAR New York Gala Red Carpet Best Dressed

I just wanted to run you through some unexpected style statements from the amfAR gala that was held in New York a few days ago. There was plenty of sweeping Roberto Cavalli gowns of course (Klum, Hurley, et al), but the more interesting style statements came from different sources. All doing something interesting and inspiring were:
1. Liya Kebede, who went for masculine/feminine in a black and white ensemble that I think looks amazing on her. She didn't over-contrast it either with red heavy lips or super-high shoes, just played it straight for the boy-girl look. I love this.
2. My mate Alexa Chung mixed up some Louis Vuitton. Instead of taking a runway look and replicating it on the red carpet, she mixed and matched from different looks to put this outfit together. I like the personalising of the runway. It makes for a much more interesting outcome.
3. Rose Byrne certainly kept things moderate, compared to her Elie Saab jumpsuit, but this Alexander McQueen fitted frock and wavy hair is by no means an expected look. I think she definitely pulled it off and it looks great - not too try-hard, which is a total pleasure.
4. And yes, Sarah Jessica Parker. I almost never like what she wears (I know, my fault), but this is rather spectacular. If one leaves off the Madonna-esque gloves of course. But that high contrast of sugary pink Oscar de la Renta gown with the leather biker jacket gets my vote. Every time. I am a sucker for this kind of situation. Well played SJP.

No comments:

Post a Comment